The Road to Independence is an educational program, the amount to equal full time work at minimum wage after considering other grants and scholarships that are in excess of the educational institutions’ fees and costs, and is contingent upon available funds.
- It is reported to the Department of Education as part of the financial aid package.
- Continued Medicaid coverage until the age of 21
The following are the required minimum qualifying criteria:
- You were in the legal custody of the State of Florida DCF and in a licensed placement or Subsidized Independent Living on your 18th birthday
- You lived in foster care for at least six months before reaching your 18th birthday
- You are a resident of the State of Florida
- You apply for RTI before your 21st birthday.
AND you have ONE of the following:
- Enrolled full time in an accredited high school or GED program or
- Obtained a high school diploma or GED and are enrolled as a full time student in an accredited college or vocational program