Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

At the age of 18 you are no longer a dependent child by law and will no longer be under the supervision of the Department and the jurisdiction of the dependency court. You have the right to ask the Court to stay involved in your case past the age of 18 for the purpose of making sure that you are provided ongoing Independent Living Services this is known as your right to petition the court for continuing jurisdiction. This right continues until your 19th birthday.

Extending Jurisdiction will

  • Set additional court hearings where you must be present after your 18th birthday.
  • Let the dependency court monitor your continued progress and monitor how we are providing IL services.
  • End at your 19th birthday unless you are in the midst of applying for immigration status.

Extending Jurisdiction will not

  • Extend supervision of the Department. Your case manager will not be handling your case any longer.
  • Guarantee you a bed in a licensed foster care placement beyond the age of 18.
  • Change your eligibility requirements for IL services. Those are set by law and cannot change. In other words, if you do not meet the qualifying criteria, the dependency court cannot change this.
  • Any appeal of any decision regarding IL services award is only conducted in what is referred to as a chapter 120 administrative law hearing. This cannot be addressed in the dependency court.